Re: calling `update-rc.d remove' on remove?

On 2 Mar 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	Of course, a well written init.d file is a no-op when the
>  package itself is removed, so it does no harm to retain the file to
>  keep configuration values ...
>
> 	If, for some packages, that is not the case, bugs should be
>  filed against the errant packages.

In the case of the lpd and lprng packages, both of them provide
/usr/sbin/lpd and test for its existance in their startup script. So if
you install lpd, remove it and then install lprng, /usr/sbin/lpd get
started twice at boot time.

Should they test for the existance of something that is unique for the
package? I doubt /usr/doc/<pkg> would be appropriate. Wat would be good?

Remco