Re: policy violation and bug reports. - some resolution?

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> > Anyway, I think this is a bug in dpkg (not asking about removed
> > conffiles) and I don't think it is right to make a program to
> > "benefit" from bugs in other programs...
>
> I've always hated this behavoir, but it's my understanding it's
> intentional (a feature, not a bug ;-).

"However, note that dpkg will not replace a conffile that was removed
 by the user (or by a script). This is necessary because with some
 programs a missing file produces an effect hard or impossible to
 achieve in another way, so that a missing file needs to be kept that
 way if the user did it." (Packaging Manual 9.1)

--
James