Re: policy violation and bug reports. - some resolution?

Hi,

	Not everything that should be fixed is a policy violation
 (though I believe we should consider conffiles in user dirctories a
 no-no in policy). Why should a user (even root) have *.dpk-dist
 cluttering up what should be their domain (it is their home
 directory, after all).

	I have 30K of .bash files in /root. The environment is
 sophisticated, and keeps in sync with my non root environment, and
 provides additional checks and balances.

	Compared to that, the default files are puerile. It is
 annoying to have little control over my home directory as root, and
 b) have to delete those files over and over again since they mess up
    ls -asCF output.

	If you must have thse files to copy into /root, keep them in
 /usr/lib/basefiles which is not oin the root partition) and do your
 copying from there. What objections do you have to that?

	I would propose that no package keep files in user home
 directories as a policy. This is not hard to do, and it would allow
 the user full control over their home directory, which is a right we
 should respect.

	manoj
--
 You see but you do not observe. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, in "The
 Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes"