Re: Clarification of Policy and Packaging manuals requested

Hi,

	Ok, that's it. You said the same thing about me on IRC, and I
 let it go. But in this forum, I feel I should respond. I resent the
 implication that I am a bare boned minimalist hick who is not upto
 date on tools and modern software.

	I would have preferred to not voice this opinion, but I think
 I am entited to voice it after being insulted so in a public forum.

>>"Christoph" == Christoph Lameter <clameter@miriam.fuller.edu> writes:

Christoph> Maybe we should also try to have developers who are up to
Christoph> date on the tools and who use modern software.

	Up to date on tools? Use modern software? I work with CORBA,
 POSIX threads, DCE, XML (yes, XML), and am paid to be at the cutting
 edge of software development. I am uptoo modern software.

	I prefer to hand craft my packages, not use shoddy cookie
 citter approaches to my work.

	The reason I do not use the so called helper tools is one of
 quality: I prefer not to use shoddy tools. I did not use to use
 dpkg-buildpackage: I switched imeediately when it appeared: it is not
 shoddy software. I have yet to see the tools you extoll as being
 anything but.

	I have kept my opinions to myself, and let people make their
 own judgments, but if I am going to be called a backwards hick who
 does not keep upto date for not jumping on the bandwagon of third
 rate tools, I reserve the right to flame back.

Christoph> AFAIK you are a bare essentialist and are resisting new
Christoph> things that simplify packaging. Lets tolerate our
Christoph> weaknesses and combine our strenghts. Zed is right and in
Christoph> the best interest of excellence we need to combine our
Christoph> knowlege which we can f.e through the bug tracking
Christoph> system. Maybe someone does not know shell scripts too well
Christoph> but is an expert in other areas.

	I am not a bare essentialist. I think I like not to trust my
 work on stuff that I can't trust.

	Sell scripts are not rocket science. Any computer programmer
 worth his/her salt should be able to put it together shortly (I don't
 think people need to know it a priori, but anyone who feels
 intimidated by and can not learn shell scripting should not be
 putting software on my machine)

	Sorry if this is not PC and touchy feely enough: but I have
 put in too much time into Debian to just let quality go.

	manoj,
 fuming
--
 "Ships don't come in, they're built." anon