Re: Clarification of Policy and Packaging manuals requested

Hi,
>>"Zed" == Zed Pobre <zed@moebius.interdestination.net> writes:

Zed> I think that mindset is not in the best interests of the Debian
Zed> project.

>>  I think I disagree. Letting developers who can't write shell
>> scripts can in no way be in the interests of the project, one of
>> whose goals is *excellence*.

Zed> Let me then put it in a different light.  I can write shell
Zed> scripts. Slowly.  To be honest, I haven't had anywhere near
Zed> enough practice.  If I were faced with some of the problems
Zed> discussed in devel, I would *eventually* have come up with the
Zed> answers you posted.

	Well, we all had to learn some time. But the point is, you are
 making an effert to learn. You are trying, however slowly, to get
 your packages to meet policy. That is what I want in the project:
 this is what we need!

Zed> As it is, however, I'll take any tool I can get to speed things
Zed> up a bit and reduce the chance of my screwing up something
Zed> subtle.

	The dark side is quicker, young luke, and beckons to the
 young. But true mastery comes from within. Use the source,
 Luke. Resist the ease and temptations ... ;-)

Zed> And from a completely tactical point of view, I think you'll get
Zed> higher quality overall when people are using tools that the
Zed> Debian project as a whole can monitor and make certain function
Zed> properly than when they're writing shell scripts that could
Zed> contain a number of problems that could remain hidden until
Zed> someone observant did something unusual to them.

	Umm, I don't think so. I want to treat developers as my peers,
 not like my (expletive deleted) customers who can't be trusted to do
 things right and therefore require tools that I can monitor so they
 don't make errors.

	If you are new to a language, you make mistakes (if you are a
 master at the language, you make mistakes). You'll get bug
 reports. Fix them, and you have learnt how to fish. I am not against
 investing in month old fish filets on ice in the grocery store, but
 that is users of stable. Debian developers are the fishermen.

	I am not arguing for an immutable Policy. I am arguing against
 (at the moment) changes to policy for the sake of providing
 pre-gutted fish to the fishermen 'cause they don't know how to fish,
 and by gar, are to busy to learn how.

	manoj

--
 Single tasking: Just Say No.