Re: decision on the `du' control files

Christian Schwarz wrote:
> The last days, there was an `endless' discussion on debian-policy about
> the use of `du' control files. Though, the discussion has not yet ended, I
> think we have a consensus on the statement below. (If not, consider this
> as executive decision :)

I thought Ian made those? ;-)

> Joey, please deactive the `dh_du' script of the debhelper package.

I will keep the script, but it will simply output a warning that it does
nothing and should be removed from debian/rules.

> In summary, I'll activate the Lintian check for `du' files again. Lintian
> will issue an error message if this control file is discovered.

Could we downgrade this to a warning, please, for a few weeks? About 260
debian packages currently include du files. If everyone fixes them en masse
to clear up lintian errors, that will probably be several hundred MB of
uploads that hit the mirrors. (I myself can account for about 40 mb of
uploads in one night if I rebuild all my .deb's without the du control
file!) I don't think this is a serious enough change to warrent such a
thing.

If it's just a warning, then all packages rebuilt with the new debhelper
will automatically lose the du control file, and over the next month, a good
percentage of them should be fixed, then you can upgrade it to an error and
catch the rest.

--
see shy jo