Re: `du' control files

Hi,

Charles> In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980215213312.13528A-100000@monet>,
Charles> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> wrote:

>> So, does everyone here agree that we explicitely forbid the use of
>> `du' files (and check this via lintian bug reports)?

Charles> No, please do NOT outlaw du files.  They are VERY small and
Charles> do no harm. True, they aren't standard or mandated by policy,
Charles> but neither are md5sums files.  For now, these are both
Charles> experimental and optional.

	I agree they are small. But they are also totally useless, and
 I do not think we should encourage stuff just on the basis of the
 fact that it is small (in hindi, there is a saying that even the
 ocean is made if tiny droplets). Experimental options do not belong
 in the main system soon to be released as stable.

	You know that you can now gather size data. Experiment
 successful. Time to end the experiment. Ok?

Charles> People, please don't forbid `du' control files unless you
Charles> also forbid `md5sums'.

	Personally, I tend to think both are quite useless, though I
 have a stronger case against du files. However, I see no valid reason
 for linking our decision on these two issues.

	We should be able to take a decision on either topic
 independent of the other.

	manoj
--
 If it smells good, eat it! T-Shirt slogan for the Franklin Square
 Deli, Kent, Ohio