Re: `du' control files

>> They are useful to check how much disk space is needed under each
>> directory before installing a package;

SV> Are you *so* short of disk space that the standard head:

Personally, I have no disk space problem, FYI. :-)

SV> Installed-Size: 200

SV> is not enough?

That's not the point: du files my be used to get a figure of the disk
space required on each filesystem, Installed-Size no.  Installed-Size may
be enough on systems having just one local disk partition.

For example, you could have something like dselect, deity or whatever else
warning about insufficient disk space on /urs partition at installation
time.  It would be easy and cheap to get such a figure from selected du
files, while it would be easy but expensive to get the same figure out of
each data.tar.gz.

Also, you may find yourself wanting to know what packages take up a large
amount of disk on /var/lib; while you could get this information from
dpkg's list files and du(1) itself, it would eventually be cheaper to get
it from preinstalled du files.

Of course preinstalled du files do take some space on /var/lib/dpkg/info/,
one block each being the typical figure (as they list only directories
installed by each package).

Davide G. M. Salvetti - IW5DZC [JN53fr]
Have a look at Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org/>.
Debian is the free operating system with open development model.