Re: limiting user access

Anthony Towns wrote:

[ moving dpkg/info to /usr/lib ]

See bugreport #11018 for background information on this.  It has
been discussed before :)

What does the FHS say about these issues?
(I know that the FHS doesn't like /var/lib)

> The other thing that's worth noting that almost all of these are
> either scripts or text configfiles. On my system, there's exactly one
> ELF binary -- libreadline2's postinst.
>
> Another option might thus be to have a config file that specified an
> interpretor to run over each of the package's preinst, postinst and
> whatever scripts. Instead of just executing the preinst script, the
> script would be piped to the interpretor, or something similar. This
> gets by any noexec problems, but does limit our options, and
> personally seems much less than elegant.

A config file is not necessary here.  Dpkg could simply emulate exec()
and read the #! line at the start of the script.  However, this leaves
the libreadline2 postinst out in the cold.

Richard Braakman