Re: lintian and e2fsprogs: doc-directory policy

On Sat, Jan 31, 1998 at 12:09:10AM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> On 30 Jan 1998, James Troup wrote:
>
> > Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
> >
> > > As long as the binary packages `Depend:' (or `Recommend:') the
> > > package containing /usr/doc/source-package and they install a
> > > symlink /usr/doc/binary-package this solution is fine with me.
> >
> > IMHO this will lead to spurious Depends: being added to packages
> > simply to satisfy 5.6.
>
> You are absolutely right.

Sure. The symlink of the doc directory should never be the reason for a
Depends: line; but when a depends to the same version already exists (as
in -dev and -dbg packages, as policy) the symlink may be allowed.
Maybe we can enforce this point in the policy, just for clarity.

> The initial idea (I think it came from Guy) was to either extract
> /usr/doc/foo/copyright (if it exists) and save it in a file "foo", or if
> /usr/doc/foo -> bar extract a symlink "foo -> bar". So this would be easy
> to implement, I guess.

idea:
Apart the debian pristine packages (which IMO should always be DFSG
compliant), all the other packages have their "copyright" files fully
included in the .diff
Maybe the checker could simply extract them from the .diff, when
checking for DFSG compliance (the original reason for automatic
extraction). When more than one copyright file exixts, as in case of
multiple binary packages, we should force the use of samething like
naminig debian/copyright.<binary> to permit easy extraction from the
.diff

This seems better than forcing duplication of files in the HD just
because of the extraction for checking them.

> After the discussion of the previous days, I'm pretty sure that the
> current policy WRT copyright files is well thought and the only good way
> to handle it. So it's just a matter of getting some packages fixed--that
> shouldn't be a big problem.

Agree. Maybe simply add more example/explanation in the policy, just to
avoid discussions on the interpretation :-)

Fabrizio