Re: PW#5-12: New upload procedure

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Christian Schwarz:
> >    * Changed `closes' and `closed' term into `fixes'
> >
> >      (This has been suggested by a few people. Please tell me if `closes'
> >      would still be preferred.)
>
> I would prefer `close', `closes' OR `closed' (but obviously only one
> of them).  This is the term used by the bug system.  (Besides - we're
> always running out of words for things and we might want to use `fix'
> for something else ...)

The point of choosing `fixes' was that it's probably much easier to
understand for non-Debian people: bugs can only be `fixed' (not `closed')
but bug reports need to be `closed' :-)

Anyways, we had this discussion a few times already. As I remember from
last time, you (Ian) were the only one who preferred `closes'. Personally,
I could leave with either situation. But we should definitely come to a
decision soon.

Which term do the others prefer?

> >    * Relaxed syntax of pattern which detects `fixes' lines: spaces are
> >      allowed in some places, pattern is case-insensitive, "bug" can be
> >      omitted
>
> I disagree most strongly.  Use of a strict pattern is not just to
> avoid accidents; it also promotes careful behaviour.

The reason to relax the syntax was that a) people said it's hard to
remember the strict syntax since it's somewhat `unnatural' and b) it's not
a big problem if a bug gets closed by accident.

For what reason should we require to have `bug' typed in lower case
letters, for example?

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz