Re: PW#5-3: How packages can register cron jobs

Brian White:
[ Kai: ]
> > We should also correct the policy to say that _no_ package should touch
> > _any_ config file from a script. The problem caused that way isn't related
> > to which package script and config file belong to.
>
> While a good general rule, I think it would be a mistake to make it
> all encompasing.  There will be cases where touching the conffile
> within the postinst of another package really will be the best way to
> do things.

If I am not mistaken it is already prohibited to modify a dpkg-handled
conffile from a script at all (which is the required condition).

If this restriction has been removed it needs to be replaced.  If not
then it clearly needs to me made more prominent.

Modifying dpkg-handled conffiles in scripts produces dpkg conffile
prompts which are confusing to a user who hasn't heard of the file.

Ian.