Re: starting /etc/init.d/* from re-mountable media

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> I thought that it was common for daemons to cd / after they start up, to
> eliminate this problem?Won't that fix it? I think it's reasonable to expect
> daemons to have this behavior, and if syslogd or klogd doesn't, they are
> broken.

Of course it's a bug in the daemon.  See for example, W.R. Stevens
"Unix Network Programming" 2.6 for the things you need to do when
writing a daemon.

And we shouldn't be enacting policy which compensates for others'
bugs, adding cd / to every init.d script for example.  We have the
source, so we can fix the bugs directly.

Guy