Re: PW#5-7: Linking shared libraries with -lc

> > One of the release goals for Debian 2.0 has been to link all shared
> > libraries dynamically against each other. This can be done by using the
> > `-lc' option when linking the library. With that, the library will contain
> > valuable dependency information about which other libraries the library is
> > linked against.
>
> The intention is right, but the technical details are wrong.  Shared
> libs linked without -lc are still dynamically linked against libc
> (despite what ldd reports.)  They just don't have an explicit
> dependency.  I suggest the following:

I thought they would only be dynamically linked with libc if the linking
program or another library had linked against libc.  Granted, this should
be true in almost all cases, but I just wanted to get clarification.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )

Seize the moment!  Live now.  Make "now" always the most important time. -- JLP