Re: PW#5-11: Policy on stripping static libraries

> > But how many people want to create statically linked programmes,
> > that don't want to do debugging?
>
> Well, I don't know. Actually we put static libs in -dev and -dbg
> packages. If they aren't needed by anyone, than I'll be very happy to
> through them away.

OK, we seem to agree here. It seems you and me don't object too much
to:

  -dev: Only headers, and the ".so -> .so.minor" symlink
  -dbg: Eighter static or shared (need to discuss this probably, maybe both)
        libs with debugging info.

This proposal is very different from what we have now, and we really should
discus this before this becomes policy. But to me it seems a waist to
force the static libraries on everybody who just wants to build shared
binaries.

> >> 	* a shared unstripped lib, compiled with -DDEBUG, with the same
> >> 	  name.soname of the runtime lib, installed in a different dir
> >> 	   (/usr/lib/debug) which *ISN'T* in /etc/ld.so.conf
> >
> > Why should this not be in ld.so.conf? What's your reasoning behind that?
>
> There is no need to force all users on a system to load a debug library
> which is really needed only from _one_ user.

Please, note that the debugging info is _not_ used/loaded/whatever
if you don't do debugging. Running a programme while using the libs
with debugging info is (as far as I'm aware) excactly as fast, and
uses excactly as much system ram as using the libs without the
debugging info. So, the only difference with your proposal:

> every time you want to use the debug libraries, just do
>
> 	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug gdb <prog>

Is that in your case whenever someones starts debugging, those
debugging libraries (code+symbols) are loaded a second time in
memory, whereas in mycase the code always is only once in memory.
This is why it's better to always use just one library, and make
that library be the one that's most capable.

> and you start without disturbing anyone on the system.

Probably you don't realise that I don't disturb anyone on the system?
Please tell me (using runtime measurements or otherwise) how I distrub
anyone on the system by forcing the debugging libs on them?

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

Potentially offensive files, part 5: /dev/random.
`head -c 4 /dev/random` may print 4-letter words (once every approx 4e8 tries).