Re: doc only packages

On 14 Jan 1998 bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> > Is it necessary that we're allowed to change the content of documents in
> > main? I would like to package the standard documents from W3, but they
> > don't allow to change the content. And this makes sense, because this
> > documents are standards.
>
> Can you point me to the license statement? I will take it up with the
> W3 chair.

Woops. (How did I miss this?) I packaged the HTML 4.0 Recommendation, and
I missed the line that makes it non DFSG complaint. It says:

"No right to create modifications or derivatives is granted pursuant to
this license."

A package is a derivative, isn't it?

The text is on http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/about.html#copyright, and
it applies to every document issued by the W3C.

I'm removing the package from Incoming right now. It's on my home
directory on master if anyone wants to check it. Sorry.

Bruce, if you can get this guys to relax this copyright a bit, it would be
great. The copyright applies to the entire recommendation, including the
DTD. This makes it unusable.

				Marcelo