Re: PW#5-1: Bash vs Bourne shell

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 1998 at 11:34:21PM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> >      Restrict your script to POSIX features when possible so that it may
> >      use /bin/sh as its interpreter. If your script works with ash, it's
> >      probably POSIX compliant, but if you are in doubt, use /bin/bash.
>
> I'd prefer it if the most often used non-POSIX features of bash could be
> listed in an appendix, making it easier for maintainers to know which
> constructs to avoid.

Certainly. If someone provides me such an appendix, I'll include it in the
policy manual (if it's short) or we'll make up an extra document for it.
AFAIR, Adrian offered to write such a manual some time ago. Adrian, are
you still intrested in doing this?

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com