Re: PW#5-5: Standardized handling of /etc/init.d script options

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 1998 at 11:34:24PM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> >      Each /etc/init.d script _has_ to provide the following options:
> >
> >          start        starts the daemon(s)
> >          stop         stops the daemon(s)
> >
> >          restart      has to stop and start the daemon(s)
> >                       (just making the daemons reload their configuration
> >                       files is _NOT_ enough)
> >
> >          reload       if possible, make daemon(s) refresh their configuration files
> >                       (it is important, that the daemon(s) are not stopped
> >                       by this option)
> >
> >          force-reload if possible do a "reload", otherwise "restart"
>
> Does the syntax display usually offerred by these scripts have to
> indicate all these options, are only those that are actually useful?
> For example, if a script is going to exit with an error for
> reload, does it need to mention reload?

No, I don't think so. Listing unsupported options in the `syntax' line
would just confuse the sysadmin.

If everyone else agrees with me on that point, I'll add a small note to
the actual policy text about how the `syntax' line should look like.

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,