Re: Implementation of Developer's DB

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

[snip]
> I was about requesting a change lately but didn't find the right
> example.  Now here it is.  I believe that developers have agreed that
> it makes sense to maintain packages as a group.  Boot-floppies is another
> package that seems to be maintaines by a group.

I disagree.

The reason for the current policy (one maintainer per package) is that
there is always one person to talk to in case of problems, bugs, etc. If
you have a group of persons maintaing a package, the past has shown that
neither of the maintainers will feel "responsible" for fixing the package.

Don't believe me? Just let me note, that all packages that are currently
maintained by a group of developers, have a much longer list of
outstanding bug reports than most one-maintainer packages, for example
dpkg, boot-floppies, doc-debian containing the FAQ (not much bugs, but the
FAQ is actually orphaned).

I don't think the solution is to allow more packages having a group of
maintainers. This does not mean that we don't allow several maintainers to
work on the same package. However, one of them should be listed as
maintainer and feel "responsible" for the package and possible bugs.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/