Re: Repackaging of xforms (now libforms) package(s?)

On 2 Jan 1998, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> A few quick questions:
>
> I've repackaged the package formerly known as xforms0.86 (it's now
> libforms) with the upstream libc6 version of the binaries. (There's no
> source available.)
>
> But there's also a newer libforms, 0.88, available. I'm just wondering
> whether I should follow Debian policy and make two packages:
>
> libforms0_0.88-1.deb
> libforms-dev_0.88-1.deb
>
> or three packages, following the old xforms style:
>
> libforms0.86_0.86-1.deb
> libforms0.88_0.88-1.deb
> libforms-dev_0.88-1.deb
>
> If I do the former, it'll be proper Debian policy for libraries. But
> with the latter, the two libforms0.XX packages will have to conflict
> with each other, as the /usr/lib/libforms.0 file must be a symlink to
> the current version of the library.

As we discussed on irc... ;)
The soname is 0.88 so, no symlinks needed
Package names should be
libforms0.88
libforms0.88-dev
libforms0.86 (this should be the libc5 one)
and optionally
libforms0.86-altdev ;)

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org