Policy about use of upstream source as .orig.tar.gz

Lately, I've run into a few packages that had an .orig.tar.gz source
archive (gimp was among them, I think) that was different from the
upstream source distribution, although there were no changes to the
sources.

Probbaly these archives were built by dpkg-source in cases were it
couldn't find the upstream .orig.tar.gz file. In most cases the only
difference to the upstream archive seems to be the changed toplevel
directory name (gimp-0.99.16 instead of gimp), things that are cared
for by dpkg-source if an correctly named upstream orig is available.

I wonder if the policy could enforce the use of upstream source
archives whereever this is possible, maybe an explicit note in the
developer docs would help, too. Is it allowed to file bugs against
packages that without need use non-upstream orig archives ?

	Gregor

---
| Gregor Hoffleit     admin MATHInet / contact HeidelNeXT |
| MAIL: Mathematisches Institut   PHONE: (49)6221 56-5771 |
|       INF 288, 69120 Heidelberg / Germany  FAX: 56-3812 |
| EMAIL: flight@mathi.uni-heidelberg.de (NeXTmail)        |