Re: Policy Weekly Issue #4/6: Secure maintainer scripts

Joey Hess <joey@kite.ml.org> writes:

> Christian Schwarz wrote:
> I don't think this is good enough. The point isn't really to do this, it's
> to create files in /tmp in a secure manner.

Uh, yes:

> >      The Debian base distribution provides the `tempfile' utility for
> >      use by scripts for this purpose.

Use of tempfile should be required.

As you already know, there's a new BSD script with does the same thing
as tempfile, but may be more standard.  So hold off on this section of
the policy until I get this new program into debianutils.  After that
we should mandate its use (assuming it has at least tempfile's
capabilities).

I'll keep tempfile in debianutils until nobody uses it though.

Guy