Re: Policy about packages that have Tk dependent parts.

On 30 Nov 1997 13:06:00 CST Rob Browning (rlb@cs.utexas.edu) wrote:

> Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> writes:
>
> > Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:
> > >   1) Create two packages: foo and foo-tk
> >
> > I can't see any real downsides to this.  If `foo' suggests `foo-tk'
> > (and `foo-tk' depends on `foo'), then we've got the best of both
> > worlds.
>
> OK, this seems to be the best idea.  I'll get started on it.  I can
> always change it later if someone has convincing arguments against
> this approach.

Two packages instead of one. We have 1400+ packages in main (around 2000
including non-free and contrib), and I think we should apply care when
creating new packages especially when the foo-tk package is likely to be
a few kilobytes.
I'd prefer "Suggests: wish", with explanations in the description, and
eventually a wrapper script.

Phil.