Re: Changelog files

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> I am rather surprised at this statement. There was a discussion last fall
> on the issue and it was settled that debstd's behavior was satisfying the
> policy. Is there any newfound reason for compressing small changelogs?

I don't remember that discussion. Perhaps you can give us some pointers
(dates, bug reports, etc.).

Anyways, the current policy manual (2.3.0.1) says in section 5.3,
Additional documentation:

  ... text documentation should be ... compressed with gzip -9 unless it
  is small.

However, section 5.8, Changelog files, is more explicit:

  Both [changelog and changelog.Debian] should be installed compressed
  using gzip -9, as they will become large with time even if they start
  out small.

As section 5.8 is written explicitely for changelog files, this overrides
section 5.3. So changelog files should _always_ be compressed, no matter
how large they are.

As this policy hasn't been changed since I'm maintaining the manual
(about 9 months) I don't know why debstd's behaviour has been considered
"satisfying" before.

> The policy should clearly say what should be done (not wasting space) but
> not state how it is to be accomplished.

I think the policy is clear in this point.

> I think I am wasting my time here. This whole compression business is
> soooo important. I wonder if we ever get to fixing real bugs.

Then why are you still objected to fixing debstd to apply to policy? Since
someone already sent you a patch for this (check the bug tracking system)
this shouldn't be much work.

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz