Re: additional virtual packages for kde

On 28 Nov 1997, Rob Browning wrote:

[snip]
> This situation makes me think we might eventually want a database
> which can be used to list "problem" packages.  dpkg would refuse to
> install any packaage whose name glob-matched a line in the database
> unless the user uses something like --force-problem-packages.  We
> could then just list IE there:
>
>   # /etc/dpkg/problem-packages
>   # Package-name         Version
>
>   internet-explorer*        *

I think such a "blacklist" goes too far (cf. the current discussion on
debian-private about "censored" packages). I don't think we should
maintain such a list.

However, we should probably implement something like the "Origin:" field.
With that, dpkg could keep a list of vendors from which packages have
already been installed on the system. If one tries to install a package
from an unknown vendor (i.e., someone from which no packages have been
installed already), dpkg should issue a warning before performing the
installation.

Ideally, all packages would be digitally signed by PGP. One could have a
public keyring on each system and dpkg would actually check the origin
_and_ the pgp signature of the packages to be installed. This would even
avoid the case of someone faking the "Origin" field.

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,