Re: Dependencies of libraries libc5-libc6 libraries

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997 20:52:35 CST David Engel (david@sw.ods.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 1997 at 03:07:02PM +0800, Philippe Troin wrote:
> >
> > 	libfoo-altdev depends on libfoog-dev
>
> I disagreed with this last one.  The reason is that it prevents the
> user from installing another "libfoog-dev" (e.g. libfoo2g-dev) without
> also removing libfoo-altdev.
[snip]
> >   2) The manpages for the development package are also included only
> >      once in the distribution, in the libfoog package.

This means that a -altdev package doesn't include manpages and other
support files and can be installed without supporting documentation.
I understand your objection, but generally, if one has
a libfoo1g and a libfoo2g, only one libfoo?g-dev is installed, and they
both provide/conflict with a libfoog-dev virtual package, right ?

Then we might have the -altdev depend on the libfoog-dev virtual package
so that installing the -altdev  package also installs any libfoog-dev
package and the support documentation is there.

I don't think people have use for only (libc5) -altdev packages without
any (libc6) -dev package. But I might be wrong.

Phil.