Re: additional virtual packages for kde

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> i generate a .deb verion of kde, and kde does the same.
> to seperate them, i use two packages :
> a) debian-kde.deb-package
> b) kde-kde.deb-package
>
> all my packages provide: a), suggests: a) and conflicts: b)
>
> please register these packages in the virtual package list.

No. We'll definitely not clutter our virtual package list just to support
some outside group distributing replacment packages for ours.

I suggest that you leave the kde* packages as they are now (have been
before that change) so that they don't provide anything and that they
suggest each other where appropriate.

Then, the KDE people can just call their packages "kde-kde*", "Conflict"
with your packages and "Provide" your packages. AFAIK, this would be
enough.

The only case where this might fail is when someone installs some packages
of ours and some of KDE's. After all, we are not responsible for the
damages if someone tries that.

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz