Re: bash should not be essential

On 13 Nov 1997, James Troup wrote:

> Scott Ellis <storm@gate.net> writes:
>
> > Nice post, but very little in the way of rational arguments why bash
> > should be essential when it doesn't have to be.
>
> Cheap shot, not well made.  The point is, bash is already essential,
> that is Debian policy.  The onus is on *you* to demonstrate why that
> should be changed.

"Because it is that way now" is NOT necessarily a valid argument for
keeping things the same way.  Slavery used to be common, East Germany used
to exist.  That is not a valid arguement for the continuance of East
Germany and slavery.

> > It's not like there is significatly more power there than in a
> > normal /bin/sh.
>
> What, pray tell, is a ``normal /bin/sh''?

Maybe ksh, maybe ash.  Could someone come up with a rational list of the
POSIX deficiencies in either?

> > While I can't personally see myself living without bash, and since
> > it compiles almost anywhere I don't see myself not having it, I
> > don't see the point in needlessly forcing others to use it.
>
> You aren't forcing them to use it; we are forcing them to have it
> installed, there is a difference.  We have to have a POSIX shell which
> is essential (or are you going to dispute that?), why should it not be
> bash?  If it isn't bash, what do you suggest in it's place?

The point is that people are trying to build a system where bash isn't
needed and there isn't a specfic reason we should force them to use it.
Again, "we've always done it that way" is not an acceptable arguement.

> > The below lines are the Installed-Size values from the copys of the
> > shells on my drive.  People installing in cramped spaces could
> > benifit from working with something a tad less bloated (not to
> > mention the speed benifit from a smaller, less complex shell).
>
> So what are you going to do?  Ban people from using ``bash-ism's'' in
> debian/*?  Unless you do so, even if bash isn't essential, people are
> still going to use ``bash-ism's'' in their scripts and so bash will
> still need to be installed.  What exactly have you won?

Maybe make a stronger suggestion to that effect.  Even if they don't clean
up their rules files, if the installed package doesn't need bash, we've
won something here.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/