Re: ldconfig warnings

apharris@onshore.com (Adam P. Harris)  wrote on 26.12.97 in <[🔎] E0xlfUi-0000vZ-00@burrito.onshore.com>:

> [You (Kai Henningsen)]

> >What we need most is a coherent explanation of what happens, why it
> >happens, and why the usual strategies are right or wrong.
>
> >Seems as if the ldso maintainer and the dpkg maintainer were the two best
> >candidates to providing that explanation.
>
> Maybe that's not necessary.  Rob Browning post got me thinking:  even if
> you create the symlink in `debian/tmp/...', order it properly w.r.t. the
> actual shared lib, you do still need to call ldconfig in postinst in
> order to update /etc/ld.so.cache.
>
> Is this the issue?  It would be a pretty simple addition to Ch 12 of the
> Packaging Manual.

The issue is, whatever we put in the manual, if we don't put the
explanation there as well, the debate will come up again a few months from
now. Some package will change something, some maintainer will claim it's
better the other way around, or something else. Or at least that's what I
expect.

We've had this discussion more than once before. It keeps coming up, and
every time, people don't seem to know what happens, and why, and that
seems to be the main problem.

Besides - what happens if, say, ldso or dpkg changes its behaviour, and
things break? We need to know how they are _supposed_ to work to decide
what's the problem. (We also need to know that if anybody ever comes up
with an idea of how to improve this.)

MfG Kai