Re: are md5sums mandatory for all packages?

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 20, 1997 at 07:02:45PM +0100, David Frey wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmmm. Perhaps this is a flaw in the non-US section,
> > > or at least the perception of it (or mine at very least). I had
> > > assumed that non-US meant otherwise free, which having just
> > > read the copyrights for ssh and pgp, I see is not the case ..
>
> > Isn't the hamm non-us section split into non-free and hamm ?
> > I thought, this was the consensus, since non-us only means
> > `not to be (re-)exported from the US'.
>
> No, it is just non-us/hamm. All the packages are lumped together;

AFAIR, we never decided to split non-us into non-free and hamm. That's
because non-us isn't considered as part of "Debian GNU/Linux" since we
don't want to have packages in "main" that depend on "non-us" packages.

The whole thing would be different if non-us would contain more packages.
As they are only few of them, I don't think it's worth the effort to
seperate "free" from "non-free" non-us packages, as long as we don't claim
that all these packages are "free".

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com