Re: Rationale for /etc/init.d/* being conffiles?

    >> Why are you so opposed to them being conffiles anyway,

    Santiago> I am NOT opposed to them being conffiles. I am opposed
    Santiago> to them being conffiles without a rationale.

    >> it doesn't make any difference to someone who never changes
    >> them.

    Santiago> Let's make a conffile every script in /usr/bin, then.

 That's not a bad suggestion, really.

 Think about this.  What if I find the need to make changes to a
 script installed in "/usr/bin", or in "/etc/init.d".

 The changes I make might be useful to someone else.  Perhaps it's a
 bugfix, or a new feature.

 I can copy the script to "/usr/local" (making sure it's first in the
 PATH), or rename the one in "/etc/init.d" so it won't get stomped, OR
 I can make an RCS subdirectory, register the script, and edit it in
 place.  Since it's a conffile, my version isn't overwritten, and I
 will have the opportunity to merge the maintainer's changes with my
 own, as well as an easy way to generate a patch to send upstream.

 Perhaps any edittable script in the box ought to be treated as a
 conffile.