Re: Rationale for /etc/init.d/* being conffiles?

I said:

Could somebody please explain the rationale for having *all*
/etc/init.d/* scripts as conffiles?

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 15:23:49 +0100
From: Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it>

  I find useful to modify some of the scripts. (e.g. I don't need RPC and
  I use different command line options for sendmail.)

I'm not saying that *any* of them should be a conffile. I want to know why
*all* of them should be *by policy*. You gave me examples of some scripts
that you find useful to modify. Ok, let's make them conffiles. But should
they be conffiles because they are useful to modify or because policy says
so?

This does still not explain why the policy mandates *all* scripts to be
conffiles.

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 13:56:35 -0500 (EST)
From: Scott Ellis <storm@gate.net>

  You can deactivate OR CHANGE THE BEHAVIOR of the program by modifying
  the script.

You can already deactivate it by uninstalling the package. The real
configuration file will be kept and will be used next time you install the
package (if you have not purged it, of course).

Yes, you can change the behaviour of the program by modifying the script.
But this is also true for every script in /usr/bin. Why don't make
conffiles all scripts in /usr/bin by policy also?

  If it isn't a conffile, this will break every time the package is
  upgraded

The same could be said for any script in /usr/bin.

   (I frequently tweak the behavior of the init.d scripts).

Ok, let's do it for init.d script which are likely to be changed.
But this does not explain why all of them should be conffiles by policy.

Date: 19 Dec 1997 21:11:00 +0200
From: Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de>

  > Could somebody please explain the rationale for having *all*
  > /etc/init.d/* scripts as conffiles?

  Because they are.

Nice answer! This is a chicken and egg problem...

  > Please, don't say "you can deactivate the service by modifying the
  > scripts",

  Example from my machine: I have two diald daemons running
  simultaneously. This is, of course, done by modifying /etc/init.d/diald. I sure don't
  want this overwritten whenever I install a new diald.

This is just another example that shows that /etc/init.d/diald should be a
conffile, but examples are just examples. Why a script that is useful to
be modified should imply that *all* scripts are useful to be modified?

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 21:19:28 -0300
From: Nicolás Lichtmaier <nick@feedback.net.ar>

   > Could somebody please explain the rationale for having *all*
   > /etc/init.d/* scripts as conffiles?

   They are as conffiles as autoexec.bat in DOS is.

Well, one could see autoexec.bat as a merge of all init.d scripts in DOS.
Some of them are useful to be modified, some of them not. Let's make
conffiles those that are useful to be modified and not those that not.