Re: are md5sums mandatory for all packages?

Hi,
>>"Fabrizio" == Fabrizio Polacco <fpolacco@icenet.fi> writes:

>>  If per file mdsums are to be recorded, then maybe hte too should
>> be pgp-signed (possibly by dpkg at package build time, possibly a
>> detached signature).

Fabrizio> as I already said, I think that maintainer's signatures are
Fabrizio> essential for the Debian Installer to certify the origin and
Fabrizio> integrity of the uploaded things, but could give a fake
Fabrizio> security if checked by users later (maybe months later) on
Fabrizio> installed systems.

	This is still better than having an unsigned md5sums file; the
 window of malice is only open to someone who has the original
 packagers private key; and we can assign a lower level of trust if
 the key does not occur in a widely distributed upto date copy of the
 Debian _active_ keyring. Keys that are known to be compromised ca be
 revoked.

	If tested against such a keyring, if the md5sums file is also
 date stamped, if the signature fails because no key is found is an
 old package, whose maintainer is no longer active (but not a known
 rogue -- those would have a revoked bertificate). Checking aganst the
 debian-keyring file (which, like the current one, contains all
 developer keys, past ot present) shall ensure it was signed by a
 debian developer at some time.

	Not perfect, but it is fairly secure, I think, as long as an
 updated keyring file can be reliably obtained. (An old developer may
 have had thier key compromised or have gone rogue unnoticed, but
 that's a lower probability event).

	manoj
--
 America has been discovered before, but it has always been hushed
 up. Oscar Wilde