Re: [Q] who has authority to mess w/ package bugs?

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Adam P. Harris wrote:

> Who has authority to mess around with the bug report?  From
> <URL:http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer.html>, it looks like any
> developer who gets a mind to is "authorized".  Is this something that's
> possible but not recommended?
>
> Possible answers:
>   * anyone!
>   * any debian developer
>   * package maintainer, and Debian-QA list
>
> I'm wondering because I've been going through the bug lists a lot lately,
> and sometimes I get an urge to "merge" two bug reports together since
> they're clearly identical.  However, I never do this since I'm not the
> package mainteainer.

The bug system contains no authorization for manipulating bugs (it assumes
the confirmation e-mails sent out for closes and such are sufficient).
For the most part, I expect maintainers don't mind if you do useful things
with their bug reports (like merge duplicates and such).  I know I don't
mind if someone else comes around and points out non-bugs or changes
status on my bugs or whatever.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/