Re: What about the texi/html policy-project ?

Santiago Vila Doncel writes:
 > Yann Dirson wrote:
 > > I remember there once was some discussion about whether/where to
 > > install HTML docs created from .texi files. If I remember well, we
 > > mostly agreed that we should install them in a subdirectory of the
 > > package's doc dir, but nobody took a decision about how it should be
 > > named. And nothing was made policy.
 > >
 > > What's the current status of this ?
 >
 > We agreed that all packages should support a new `doc-base' package
 > which would generate .info, .html, .dvi or .ps on demand.

Yes and no: I also remember that there were objections for this
on-demand generation, for machines with low resources (eg. 386). I
don't remember seing a consensus about that, at least.

What I remember is that someone proposed to come with a doc-base, so
that we'll be able to judge from a sample implementation.

 > [ Of course, I would propose to postpone this for Debian 2.1 ]

Yes, doc-base should probably wait for 2.1 now.

But we could still make policy right now on the location of HTML'd
texi files. Even if deity is not ready right now, I think it would be
a good thing to have already a consistent doc layout when
part-of-package-exclusions will be available.

We already have a policy on where to put manpages and info files. I
think having right now a policy for placing HTML and texi-HTML files
should be a good thing.

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: