Re: additional virtual packages for kde

In article <[🔎] 19971127183056.24046@dungeon.inka.de> you wrote:
:> (For simplity and without loss of generality, I'm just describing the
:> solution for kdebase and kdegraphics. Furthermore, the "Depends:" lines
:> have been simplified.)
:>
:> The Debian packages:
:>  Package: kdelibs0g
:>
:>  Package: kdebase
:>  Depends: kdelibs0g, ...
:>
:>  Package: kdegraphics
:>  Depends: kdelibg0g, kdebase, ...
:>
:> KDE's KDE packages:
:>
:>  ----cut here-------
:>  Package: kde-kdelibs0g
:>  Conflicts: kdelibs0g
:>  Provides: kdelibs0g

: that doesn't work : with this constellation someone could use my kdebase
: and their kdelibs. but that doesn't work as my kdelibrary and their
: kdelibrary are not compatible (different paths).

Did you not read Christian's explanation of the versioning of the
dependencies?  I think that completely satisfies your concern.

Frankly, I don't personally understand why Christian proposes that the KDE
flavors of the package include "Provides:" for the non-KDE flavor package
names.  I can't see any reason for this (a simple conflict should suffice, I
think), and it's the root of the problem you're identifying, right?

Bdale