Re: Dependencies of libraries libc5-libc6 libraries

On Thu, Nov 27, 1997 at 03:07:02PM +0800, Philippe Troin wrote:
> Having some arguments with someone about dependencies of libraries,
> I've posted here to have this sorted out.
>
> Assume you have:
> 	libfoo           libc5 compatibility library
> 	libfoo-altdev    libc5 compatibility development package
> 	libfoog          libc6 library
> 	libfoog-dev      libc6 development.
>
> Obviously you have:
> 	libfoo-altdev depends on libfoo
> 	libfoog-dev depends on libfoog
> (not talking about external dependencies like on libc6, etc...)
>
> After some discussions a few months ago on debian-devel (or -policy),
> some people (I remember David Engel and myself) argued that for some
> packages you might also want:
> 	libfoo depends on libfoog

Yes.

> 	libfoo-altdev depends on libfoog-dev

I disagreed with this last one.  The reason is that it prevents the
user from installing another "libfoog-dev" (e.g. libfoo2g-dev) without
also removing libfoo-altdev.

> Rationale:
>
>   1) The documentation for foo is there only once in the libfoog
> package
>      and libfoo has a symlink in /usr/doc to libfoog. Additional
>      support files (like /usr/lib/tclxxx for David's tcl packages)
>      are there only once in the libfoog package.
>
>   2) The manpages for the development package are also included only
>      once in the distribution, in the libfoog package.
>
>   3) One might argue that we could create additional package. This
>      would mean creating two extra packages: libfoo-support for the
>      common runtime files, and libfoo-dev-support for the common
>      devel files (manpages, etc...). I don't think adding two extra
>      packages per library is worth, we already just added two:
> 	bo: 2 packages per library
> 	current hamm: 4 packages per library
> 	hamm with this proposal: 6 packages per library

Agreed.

>   4) The libfoo and libfoo-altdev are *compatibility* package during
>      the libc5->libc6 transition. Hopefully the final hamm will have
>      all the old libc5 packages converted to libc6. This means that
>      the libfoo and libfoo-altdev are unlikely to be installed on a
>      hamm system.
>      Even if they are installed on a hamm system, it's likely that
>      their libc6 counterparts are already there, so these additional
>      depencies are just a minor annoyance.

Right.  All of the libfoo-altdev packages should be obsoleted (and
possibly the libfoo packages too) in whatever comes after hamm.

> Objections, support, welcome.
> Could we have this carved in stone somewhere if it's approved ?
> Sorry to dig out this again.
>
> Phil.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road