Re: additional virtual packages for kde

On Wed 26 Nov 1997, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 19971127001911.11766@dungeon.inka.de> you wrote:
>
> : their packages are available, ours not...
>
> I think there are two things that I must have missed in the discussion on this
> topic:
>
> 	- why are there two sets of KDE packages?  One should be sufficient.

we have very different ideas.

the kde strategy is "change nothing, keep universal", so the binaries
are byte by byte the same like the rpm and the tar.gz version.

the debian strategy is "integrate it into the distribution".
so i use the debian menu system, the debian utils (for init.d),
dpkg --divert against xbase to change the xsession file, put files in
/usr, not /opt/kde ...

> 	- why can't "your" KDE packages be made available just as easily as
> 	  the other set?  If Incoming is backlogged, put the files somewhere
> 	  else that folks can get to them.

they are (ftp.inka.de:/sites/dungeon/packages). but people search on the
kde ftp site for the packages, and their they find some. they also
search on the debian ftp site, and their they find a broken system.
and a few people ask me, and they get this hint.

> For the record, I don't see any value in usign virtual packages for these
> conflicts.  The non-Debian packages should conflict with the Debian packages,
> and have self-consistent dependencies.  That is sufficient.

kde's kdelib is (by design) not compatible with my kdelib.
please show me an implementation, that takes care of this fact.
(a set of package/depends/conflict lines, like christian did).

andreas