Re: bash should not be essential

Hi,

	I agree with the statement that any script that uses bashisms
 should in fact start with the string #! /bin/bash.

	Do we know of any other shell that is POSIX compliant? Bash,
 invoked as /bin/sh, has a stated goal of being a POSIX compliant
 shell, and I think is quite good at it (I can't make a more definite
 statement since I have not run conformance tests on it).

	Until we have alternates, bash shall have to remain
 essential. Even when alternatives emerge, we may still need to keep
 bash essential to ensure backwards compatibility for packages and
 people who have assumed that /bin/bash shall allways exist on Debian
 machines. Also, there is the technical issue of ensuring a POSIX
 /bin/sh (virtual packages can't be marked essential).

	Unfortunately, this debate is decaying into a holy war for and
 against bash. Personally, I do not feel this is an issue we have to
 solve (not yet, anyway). I think we have more important things on our
 plate (hamm, the ever growing bug list, deity, etc)

	I feel it is time for me to step out of the way of this
 rapidly spinning debate ...

	manoj
--
 How many Zen masters does it take to screw in a light bulb?
 None. The Universe spins the bulb, and the Zen master merely stays