Re: bash should not be essential

Hi,
>>"Santiago" == Santiago Vila Doncel <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

Santiago> I want to change the policy. I think bash should not be
Santiago> essential.

	Why? Mind you, I'm not being argumentative, I just want to
 see technical reasons for and against having a standard, free Bourne
 shell marked essential, espescially one whose goal is to be POSIXly
 correct when invoked as /bin/sh. Do we have any alternatives? I think
 we need to be able to depend on having *some* POSIX-like sh available
 on the system, and it seems to me that only marking a package
 essential can ensure that.

>> It might be worth considering how many packages currently use
>> bashisms in places where only an essential package will do.

Santiago> Will file * | grep "Bourne-Again" serve?

	Possibly not, since I recall that some version of debmake made
 *all* sh scripts be bash scripts, and some maintainers may have done
 so defensively, knowing that bash was essential anyway.

Santiago> Perhaps we should analyze all shell scripts and report bugs
Santiago> first.

	Yes.

	manoj
--
 Of all the passions that possess mankind, The love of novelty rules
 most the mind; In search of this, from realm to realm we roam; Our