Re: Filesystem Hierarchy Standard 2.0 (fwd)

In article <[🔎] 19971105230104.13715@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au>,
	Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> I just joined this list; can somebody point me at
> (a) a copy of the new FHS (which is a replacement for the FSSTND?), and
> (b) a rationale for its changes.
>
> For example, from what I've picked up so far, usr/doc is changing
> to usr/share/doc. That doesn't sound a particularly worthwhile
> change to me at present, so I would like to read a rationale for the changes.

It's moved to /usr/share because it _can_ be. We want as much as possible in
there.

Now, I want to see a rationale for moving man pages for text mode programs
to /usr/share, and leaving those for X ones in /usr (well, /usr/X11R6, but
that's normally the same partition as /usr and isn't shareable)
.