Re: problems with editor/pager policy

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> There are currently two problems with the editor/pager policy:
>
> 1. Some packages start to use /usr/bin/{editor,pager} but no package
> (AFAIK) does provide this yet.

The latest versions of both more and less provide /usr/bin/pager

> I assumed that the "ae" package is marked `Essential'. Thus, we either
> have to mark it `Essential' or have to implement a virtual package
> `editor'.
>
> (Or is there any other editor in the base system that's marked
> `Essential'?)

If ae and other editors (esp. the vi clones and other smallish editors
[joe?]) are set to provide /usr/bin/editor, we shouldn't really need to
provide a virtual package.  If someone removes all the editors from their
system, they deserve something using /usr/bin/editor to break.  We don't
need to handhold them that much.  (similar to my position on people
yanking procmail or deliver out from under sendmail.  If you know enough
to uninstall all your editors, you should be able to cope).

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/