Re: On Bruce Perens and Dave Cinege, etc.

On 28 Oct 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Britton" == Britton  <fsblk@aurora.alaska.edu> writes:
>
> Britton> Good individuals will almost invariably harbor a few bad
> Britton> individual ideas, for whatever reason.  This is especially
> Britton> true in the technical fields.  The process appears to be
> Britton> sufficiently democratic that this doesn't matter, but
> Britton> rotation would ensure that it wouldn't.
>
> 	I think you may be right n the first count: the process
>  appears to be sufficiently democratic that this doesn't matter, and
>  we do not need to add bureaucratic overhead to aid that (what ain't
>  broke ...)

I guess the question is how much overhead would really be imposed.  It
does not seem to me like changing from one competent and fully informed
leader (eg Bruce) to another (eg Ian) every 2 years would be too hard.

The recent talk about the filesystem standard is a good examle.  Ian
doesn't want to go along with it in some places.  I don't really know
enough to say if this is good or bad, but it looks almost certain to be a
sticking point, with some potential outcomes being bad (years of failure
to conform, or years of living with a bad standard).

> Britton> [...] in a way I think was bad for Debian.  Dave got his back
> Britton> up.  Mayby he wouldn't have stayed anyway, but I think it was
> Britton> a shame to lose him.  He made CDs, he presumably told his
> Britton> friends abou Debian, brought them CDs the next day, etc.
>
> 	There are some things I would not subject myself to just for
>  the sake of Debian's popularity. I prefer to have a group of people

Fair enough, but the reaction didn't exactly stop Dave, just the opposite
in fact.  And of course popularity is synonymous with survival in the end.

I should note that I don't recall seeing anything particularly insulting
from you Manoj, your debate has always been conducted respectfully.