Re: libtool and it's use of -rpath

Christian Schwarz writes:
 > On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, David Engel wrote:
 >
 > [snip]
 > > I suggest we modify libtool for Debian to not use -rpath.  Comments?
 >
 > Yes, I think this would be good.
 >
 > I don't know the `-rpath' option of ld much, so please correct me if I'm
 > wrong. Is it true that we don't need this option at all? If so, we should
 > probably make it policy that _no_ package uses this option.

I don't know if it has any advantages, but using -rpath breaks
libtool's own system of wrapper scripts allowing to run binaries
linked against uninstalled libs. I had problems with that and plan to
send a bug report for this.

Here is the lines I added to my configure.in (after call to
AM_PROG_LIBTOOL) to automagically fix the `libtool' script:

=====
# Turn around -rpath problem with libtool 1.0c
# This define should be improbable enough to not conflict with anything
case ${host} in
  *-pc-linux-gnu)
    AC_MSG_RESULT([Fixing libtool for -rpath problems.])
    sed < libtool > libtool-2 \
    's/^hardcode_libdir_flag_spec.*$/hardcode_libdir_flag_spec=" -D__FOO_132_BUZZ_191_BAR__ "/'
    mv libtool-2 libtool
    chmod 755 libtool
  ;;
esac
=====

This just causes libtool to replace the -rpath setting by a inofensive
define, and everthing seems to work well.  My piece of code may surely
be improved though.

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: