Re: Policy Weekly Issue #4/4: Announcing new packages before uploading them

Martin Schulze wrote:

> Andreas Jellinghaus writes:
>
> > we should stop announcing and let a script on master do this.
>
> And according to James' oppionion this script should also close
> the referring bugs - opposite to closing bugs while uploading.

Is this script run before or after move out of Incoming?
The way I see this flow is:
 1) upload and announce
 2) Debian Installer checks the packages, installs them and announces
    it back to the maintainer
 3) Maintainer closes bugs fixed.

(I personally consider a bug the fact that uploading and announcing
scripts closes bugs)

The announce to debian-devel-changes permits developers to do manual
tests while the packages are still in Incoming (updates stays one day,
while new packages one week, AFAIK).
Bugs shouldn't be closed untill the fixed version is available to public
(which Incoming is not for).

If we want to automate those two things, then I'd prefere to have two
scripts (I mean two separate runs, it could be one phisical script): one
for announcing as soon as the package appear in Incoming and another for
fixing bugs after the installation in the hierarchy.

If we do so, we need also to set a strict sintax to mark fixed bugs:
sometimes in the changelog I mention partly fixed bugs or bugs that
aren't been fixed.

Fabrizio