Re: Starting daemons in the postinst scripts

Thomas Koenig writes:
> [My subscription to debian-policy is on the way, but in the meantime,
>  please CC: any replies to me.  Thanks.]
>
> I just caught this on Christian's excellent weekly report, and I'd
> like to add my 0.01 Euro.
>
> My suggestion would be that daemons should be started up according to
> the runlevel the system currently is in.  Interaction in postinst script
> should only be done when absolutely necessary, IMHO.

That's another point, I believe.  I think this goes into another direction.

My original intention to bring up this topic was that at the moment
random daemons are started after installing Debian packages.  The
user doesn't even *know* that there is a daemon started, too (which
accidently introduced a root exploit in my case: cvs).

The user needed the clients from that package but Debian installs
this daemons, too.  This has to be controlled by the admin, imho.

Regards

	Joey

--
  / Martin Schulze  *  Debian Linux Maintainer  *  joey@debian.org /