Re: abandoning the rules of discourse (repost)

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997 00:49:56 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

>Dave Cinege:
>> In other words Bruce needs a way to justify stifiling people that
>> endanger his complete domination of the Debian project.
>>
>> I can see no other reason for this policy as the very *RARE* times
>> their is any noise on the mailing lists it has been about that.
>
>Dave, please try not to be _quite_ so paranoid.

This is fact, not indulgent speculation.

>Bruce has no complete
>domination of the project.  If you think you can do better then stand
>for the leadership.  In any case, please be constructive.  You might
>also find that becoming a developer would enhance your credibility.

Bruce now censors me at will on the lists when I bring up things he doesn't want
mentioned. (Notice I now need to post from several different accounts) He has
locked the enirty of major copyrights involvded in the project under SPI Inc. (of
which he owns), and it's pretty clear he's not going to just give that up if someone
else is elected grand poobah this year.

If this is not domination of the project could you please explain to me what is?
(I'm serious, please do.)

>To the rest of the list: We've been seeing a fair amount of noise
>recently, whether of the kind quoted above, or miscellaneous user
>questions to debian-devel (of which we've had a couple recently), or
>whatever.

People should get a topicality message when they subscribe.

>I propose that if we get much more we close the debian-policy and
>debian-devel lists to postings from non-developers.  If there is
>demand we can create a new list where non-developers can discuss
>things, but I think the project needs us to be able to talk to each
>other in (relative) peace and quiet.

Then start a moderated list for critical matters. Giving someone the power to
decide who is a developer and who is not, and who can post and who can not, is
not what a free software project is about.

Again, those of you that want a closed development enviroment should look for
another distribution. That is not what Debian is about, and many of us will leave if
that changes.

BTW, doesn't deity have a private moderated list that just went through a minor
war? Wound up spilling over to devel and policy.....