Re: Starting daemons in the postinst scripts

On Thu 23 Oct 1997, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> My suggestion would be that daemons should be started up according to
> the runlevel the system currently is in.  Interaction in postinst script
> should only be done when absolutely necessary, IMHO.

i don't like this idea. it is very usefull, for normal operations
(my setup is 2=minimum boot if two getty, 3=minimal network,4(default)
everything,5,7-9 unused), but when repairing my system, i sometimes have
to boot mode 2 or 3. repairing the system is enough work, extra checking
if some newly installed programs go into the right runlevel is not a
good way.

i propose a slightly modified version :
lets create a config file or so, where the sysadmin can say
"new daemons should register in runlevels X Y Z".

update-rc.d will read that config file, and do everything needed.
this will also allow to say "don't register, i want to have manual
control over daemons !".

what do you think ?

andreas