Re: Policy Weekly Issue #4/12: X Window Manager policy

> I'd prefer Joey's solution: xbase should install a script `install-wm' (or
> similar) which is called by all window manager's postinst scripts. The
> `install-wm' script will ask the sysadmin where to place the new wm (top
> or bottom of the file).
>
> Any other ideas?

a directory doesn't help, in my opinion.
i like the install-wm idea. but i don't like to be prompted, if i want
to make this wm the default wm.

proposal :
a) /usr/sbin/windowmanagerconfig script to select the default wm.
b) if a file /etc/dpkg/fastconfig exist or a special  environemt var or
so is set, the script should not prompt, add the wm to the bottom (i.e.
not change the default wm), and add a line to some log file.

this way the admin can run a fast installation, configure the wm
himself, and he has a logfile, what (did not) happen.

this mechanism could also be used by many other programs:
you all remember the "do you want to make XF86_VGA16 your default
Xserver ?" questions everytime you update X11 to a new version,
and i'm sure we will find also lots of other programs.

essential : every program that has a *config script could use this
mechanism and run configuration later.

what do you think ?

andreas