Re: Policy Weekly Issue #4/10: Filesystem location of non-english documentation files

a) if someone looks for documentation, she changes the directory to
/usr/doc/<package>, and looks what is in there. so people will not find
documentation in /usr/doc/LANG/<locale>

b) for one file a directory isn't necessary, in my opinion.
locale should be the 2 char language code, or <language>_<territory>,
but only if documentation is territory specific.

> The LANG_ prefix is used to reduce the possibility of a file name
> conflict.  (I don't think an extra LANG/ directory is appropriate here.)

i don't think a LANG_ prefix is necessary. put all english documentation
in en/, and you are fine.

> Some people suggested to have an extra directory level for the
> documentation file format (e.g. 'HTML/'). I suggest to postpone the
> discussion about this sub-topic until we discuss the `documentation
> policy'. (Until then, maintainers can decide whether they want to use an
> extra directory, or not.)

i suggest to add a directory HTML/ for html documentation, and but not
subdirectories for other formats. rationale :
a) html documents often consist of several files
b) easy way for scripts to build an index of documentation.

a package should either have a index.html file or symlink in that
directory.

andreas